SAFE applauds this tangible act from the UK in response to the disorder in Syria and the threats to its heritage.
The Export Control Syria Sanctions Amendment Order 2014 SI 2014 1896 (the Order) was made on July 16, 2014, laid before the Parliament on July 18, 2014, and came into force on August 8, 2014.
It “provides for the enforcement of trade sanctions relating to Syrian cultural property specified in Article 11c of Council Regulation (EU) No 36/2012 as amended (the Regulation) . . . The Regulation prohibits throughout the EU the import, export, transfer, or provision of brokering services for the import, export or transfer, of Syrian cultural property and other goods described in it, where there are reasonable grounds to suspect they have been removed illegally or without the consent of their owner.”
- Article 11c of Council Regulation (EU) No 36/2012 (the Regulation) reads:
It shall be prohibited to import, export, transfer, or provide brokering services related to the import, export or transfer of, Syrian cultural property goods and other goods of archaeological, historical, cultural, rare scientific or religious importance, including those listed in Annex XI, where there are reasonable grounds to suspect that the goods have been removed from Syria without the consent of their legitimate owner or have been removed in breach of Syrian law or international law, in particular if the goods form an integral part of either the public collections listed in the inventories of the conservation collections of Syrian museums, archives or libraries, or the inventories of Syrian religious institutions.
- The prohibition in paragraph 1 shall not apply if it is demonstrated that:
(a) the goods were exported from Syria prior to 9 May 2011; or
(b) the goods are being safely returned to their legitimate owners in Syria.
- The official document of the Order can be accessed at: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/1896/contents/made
- See more at: http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/what-we-do/supporting-museums/cultural-property/export-controls/export-licensing/
Question: Will the US, and other countries, follow suit?
Latest posts by SAFECORNER (see all)
- Welcome to the SAFE Team! - May 31, 2016
- Four Years Later and Still Going Strong - February 2, 2016
- Nearly 600 Artifacts from Cargo Ship Examined by Experts - December 30, 2015